Reasons to Call Our
Child Life Specialists
1. Your child is getting a medical test or procedure done.
2. Your child will be staying at the hospital.
Our child life specialists can…
- Help prepare a child and/or family for procedures, including making sure they understand what will happen and what to expect in simple, friendly terms.
- Teach a child coping strategies for use during procedures or treatments.
- Accompany a child to a procedure and provide any needed coping interventions.
- Help a patient’s sibling(s) understand his/her brother’s or sister’s illness, injury or hospitalization.
- Help a child understand and cope with a new diagnosis.
- Provide a child and his/her family with emotional support regarding a diagnosis, hospitalization or loss.
- Provide an infant with therapeutic interventions or stimulation.
- Facilitate socialization between children of the same age
- Support and help a child celebrate/understand a milestone such as the end of treatment.
Additionally, our child life specialists organize events throughout the year to ensure patients staying at the hospital during holidays and other special times of the year don’t feel left out.
Our child life specialists are here to help the children and to ensure that they have the most positive experience possible during their stay here at Children's Hospital Colorado at Memorial Hospital.
One of the most important and effective components of our Child Life Program is our terrific playroom. The playroom—chock full of board games, dolls/dollhouses,training computers, arts and crafts materials, trains and numerous other toys—promotes and supports the healing process by providing children with their greatest sense of normalcy: PLAY!
Open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 to 7 p.m., the playroom is continuously staffed by trained volunteers. For more information about the playroom, contact our child life specialists at 719-365-5516.
PLEASE NOTE: Our internship program is currently unavailable at this time.
We also offer a Pre-Operative Program that allows children and their families to come to the hospital before surgery to tour the surgery department. This tour provides children with the chance to experience a sneak preview of what they can expect the day of surgery—e.g. the gowns they’ll wear, the rooms they’ll be in, some of the staff and equipment that will be used, etc. We feel that this is particularly beneficial for school-age children; however, children of all ages are welcome.
Call 719-365-2975 for more information and/or to schedule a tour.